Thursday 24 January 2013

My new Tablet

Oh I am such a happy me
Got my Nexus 7 with 3G.

        After months of research and dither, I have taken the plunge. I feel a bit naughty, a bit immoral somehow. Surely pensioners do not really buy such things. They are toys for grown up kids. Well I guess it goes to show that some pensioners still want toys and still want to play.
      I am just thrilled with my new toy, it is even better than I had hoped, quite an amazing little machine.
      I have a mobile phone, but it is an ancient pay-as-you go, which I use for emergency contact only. I still like to use an old fashioned house phone for those rare occasions when I phone someone. I have a big laptop which I love and spend many happy hours at, with e-mail being my preferred method of communication.
So, my family argued
     1. Why don't you get an i-Pad?
     2.  And  -why do you want a tablet anyway?
Well - my answer to the first question is -
     I don't want an i-Pad because it is too big to carry in my handbag. An i-Phone or any smart phone is too small for my old eyes to read. There is now the 7 inch  i-Mini, but all the reviews say that the Nexus 7 is better and it is half the price. My Nexus can connect to stuff such as my laptop or a USB stick or my camera's flash card.
Also -
     Because I hate Apple. I hate their sleek, over-priced, corporate, superciliousness and their refusal to let their stuff work with anything else. I am old enough to remember when The PC was the big guy and Apple was the little tiddler, the underdog. If you wanted to be oppositional  and not go with the general flow, then you bought Mac. Well the situation has reversed. Apple is now the big fat cat and I am oppositional.
My answer to the first question is -
Because I want  to take it everywhere with me and play with it wherever I am.
      Why I am trying so hard to justify myself?



No comments:

Post a Comment