Thursday 11 July 2013

We must vote with heads - not hearts

Flicking through the brochure for the Edinburgh Book Festival I came upon the name of an author I went to listen to before and will not be going to listen to again. He is a well known Scot who writes books I much enjoy about an Edinburgh detective.
When I had seen him before he had started his talk by saying that he must declare himself
"I will be voting for Scottish Independence" he said
"I do not feel that I have to list my reasons for you
because
I am voting with  my heart (he put his hand on his chest)
NOT
with  my head" (he put his hand on his head)
I could not believe what I had heard - from an obviously intelligent man.
We don't make many really important decisions in our lives - do we? We chose a career but that can be changed. We chose a spouse and nowadays that is pretty easy to change. Marriage is interesting because perhaps there is an acceptance in the West that we do chose our spouse with our hearts more than our heads. In an arranged marriage in India or Pakistan the decision is definitely made with the the head. When we buy a house we use a lot of head but also a bit of heart. However  it can be changed if wrong. When we buy that sweet little puppy, we are perhaps using heart more than head and a puppy is for life! When we have sex, most of us are not using our head  - but the resultant baby affects the heart the moment you hold it. I suppose there is abortion, as a last resort, if it is a big mistake. When we vote in general elections, we should vote with our heads. Many, however, vote with their hearts - for various reasons. Perhaps they are following tradition, perhaps they hate/fancy the candidate.
BUT
A vote in an election is just for a few years and then you get to vote again.
IN SCOTLAND in 2014
If there is a majority for Independence then
That is FOREVER
I think that deserves a bit of "head" - a bit of serious thinking about.
Especially as no-one yet knows what an independent Scotland would be like. Would it drop the pound for  the Euro, would it be part of the EU, would it have the Queen, would it have a central Bank, would it be part of NATO, would our pensions be protected etc etc - so many questions yet to be answered. Only then, with all the facts, can one look at both sides of the argument and make a judgement  -
The Status Quo  - which most of us Scots are quietly very happy with
or
Separation - as put forward by a loud intimidating minority


No comments:

Post a Comment