Monday 10 December 2012

Compassion in Nursing

Nursing care is in the news again with modern day nurses being accused of lacking compassion.
       I had an operation about 5 years ago. I noticed several empty wards and was told it was because of a lack of nursing staff. After my operation, I was in a special high dependency ward, which had a high nurse to patient staff ratio and received the most wonderful nursing care.
       As I improved, I was moved to the general surgical ward, with a much lower nurse to patient staff ratio and the nursing care was not so good. The poor nurses were just too busy. With no time to eat, drink, go to the loo or rest - of course their compassion was low.  
     To my horror, I read  shortly afterwards, that there was to be a reduction in nurses at that hospital.
     Now again, a few years later, I read that the staffing levels are to be reduced further
This is madness. To be compassionate, nurses need time and energy. The government must stop cutting medical staffing levels.


No comments:

Post a Comment