Friday 21 December 2012

My NHS dentist visit

      I have just had my six month check at my NHS dentist. Yes they do still exist although an endangered species. I so dread going, but all that was necessary was smoothing an edge of an old filling that had broken off.
      As a child the family dentist was Mr Walls and we drove all the way to Nairn, such was his supposed expertise. Every visit he would grumble that he should just pull all my teeth out and be done with it. Well Mr Walls - my teeth are mostly all still there somewhere beneath all the fillings that you originally put in them.
      Perhaps the appalling state of my teeth was due to my mother confusing 2 important health messages.
1. An apple a day keeps the doctor away
2. Brushing teeth at bedtime.
     We religiously brushed our teeth after our bath and then got into bed with an apple to eat before going to sleep
      I was fired with enthusiasm by a recent article in the paper. -
      For perfect teeth and death to plaque and decay, all that is necessary is -
1. 30 minutes Listerine Original twice a day after tooth brushing and
2. Chewing gum with Xylitol (Peppersmith) twice a day after lunch and after supper.
     I asked the dentist about this yesterday. He looked very thoughtful and said
              "Yes - that regime is very good for most people-  but not you"
On being asked why he said
              "Because chewing gum requires strong teeth"
Oh my poor old crumbling pensioner teeth


No comments:

Post a Comment