Sunday 24 March 2013

MRI examinations of the brain in a well person

Yesterday I went to a truly excellent lecture at Edinburgh's Science Festival.
It was about MRI investigations of the brain
and
What should happen when it shows something, that is giving no symptoms and is just an incidental finding?
In the trade this is called - an incidentaloma.
also
Should we all be encouraged or discouraged from having such investigations as part of a routine check up?
Many of us have incidentalomas which will be there all our lives and cause us no harm.
In a few very rare cases they may be troublesome, however preventative intervention may cause problems too.
The lecture was given by one of the top scientist/medics in that field
The message I took home was
Doing an MRI on a well person is a waste of time
Private companies charge £2000-£3000 and they are not done or read by experts.
If something is found the person is told to go and talk to their GP about it and he /she is no expert. So a referral then has to be made to an NHS expert who has better things to be doing than trying to allay anxiety in a well person.
If for some reason an MRI has to be done, the patient should be told beforehand that it may show an incidentaloma. They should be asked beforehand whether they want to be told about it.
Years ago when I was a medical student, a friend working in medical physics borrowed me and my brain for an hour to test his new machine.
Something in my brain looked weird, except the machine was so new he wasn't sure if it was his machine or my brain.
I worried about this for a few years.
But I am a here - still alive and a pensioner.
My friend was killed in a climbing accident shortly after he did that test.


No comments:

Post a Comment