Tuesday 23 April 2013

I was a Kelpie

A million years ago - or so it seems, I was taken by my mother into Inverness, to Dr Blacks Memorial Hall and enrolled in the Brownies.
Oh it was so exciting - I can still remember the thrill.
First there was the uniform - the brown dress with a belt and a tie. The  belt was  brilliant. I had never had a belt before. But - the tie was just so exciting. It wasn't an ordinary tie, which would have been exciting enough, but it had to be made by folding a yellow bit of material in a special way.
A brooch went in the front of tie denoting which "six" you belonged to.
In Brownies, you were divided into sixes. There were fairies , elves, pixies and gnomes and because it was Scotland - kelpies
It was a big room, on the ground floor and there were lots of little girls and Brown Owl and her helper. In the middle of the room was  - The Toadstool
After a while Brown Owl said that she thought I would make a good Kelpie.
Now I thought this was because I was such a good little Scottish girl
BUT
I recently went to an International all day conference on The Loch Ness Monster
There I discovered that kelpies were big fierce monsters and were perhaps the basis of the the myth that gave rise to The Loch Ness monster.
I have to admit to being very disturbed by this knowledge
Obviously Brown Owl had observed me for a short while and decided that I was a big fierce monster.
Perhaps she was right. I was always big and continually got the strap at school.
The kelpies had a special song
"Here we are the little Kelpies
Bright and quick and ready helpers"
Oh I just loved it all
and
I so looked forward to flying up to guides (held in the same place on the floor above)
But
I was sent away to boarding school - in England


No comments:

Post a Comment