Monday 9 September 2013

The Grievances of a Crofter in 1883

I have spent the last few days reading the newly digitised Napier Report done in 1883 on the state of the Scottish Highland Crofters.
To my amazement I came across evidence being given by my husband's great grandfather, whose little croft house we are in at present.

Reading it makes one realise why the crofters were unhappy. Their crofts were made smaller and smaller to make way for big profitable sheep farms. Many were moved to very poor land which they had to try and improve. Many were evicted with nowhere to go.

Did they hate the Duke?
Well a John Mackay giving evidence later on said
"They would hear no ill talked of the Duke"
The Duke was respected but his factors and groundsmen were hated

Here is what our ancestor had to say

Grievances of Alexander Gunn                                                        
My name is Alexander Gunn; my age is 49. I am a crofter living in the parish of Rogart. I pay £7,16s. for twelve acres of land. The number of stock I have are as follows:—Two Highland horses, two Highland cows, two young heifers, and eleven sheep. The returns from my croft will not supply my family with meal and vegetables more than six months in the year. My croft nearly employs my time in its cultivation, and even when I have a few days to spare from being employed on my croft it is seldom I get employment otherways. The fact is that between returns of other employment and cattle and sheep, etc. sold, I can barely sustain my family ; and even I am often compelled to keep my wife and children from what is termed good clothes on account of my rent. If I had double the amount of arable land that I now possess at fair rent, valued by competent valuators, appointed by landlord and tenant, and guaranteed to defend me against capricious eviction, I do consider that I would be able to educate and bring up my family in a manner more consonant to my mind, and have sufficient to defend me against pauperism in my old age.
My grievance is the smallness of my croft, and the inferior cattle I am obliged to have, and no rule to govern the rise of rent or the threat of eviction, as my case will prove.
When my mother died, twenty years ago, my eldest brother, on getting possession of the lot, had to pay death premium, or £1 of a rise of rent. This rise was put on, on the recommendation of two of the Duke's ground officers, who valued our lot. Three years afterwards my brother died, and I became his successor, and I had to pay a death premium of - 4s. that being four shillings more than the Duke's servants or ground officers valued my croft at. Four years ago I received a summons of removal, when on making inquiry I found out that this was an introduction to another £ l,  ls. of a rise of rent, which I had to pay, and pay still;
The actual fact is that I pay £ 1, 5s. per annum more than what his Grace's own servants valued my croft at, and all the improvements on the lot were done by myself and predecessors.—

(Signed) ALEXANDER GUNN.

Anyone wanting to read more go to


No comments:

Post a Comment