Tuesday 21 January 2014

I love Google

My great passion is genealogy - all the branches of my ancestors - not just the men.

This has recently taken me to Bologna in Italy, where we unearthed amazing discoveries in ancient libraries and archives

Now - back in the UK - the research continues - thanks to Google.

One name on the family tree that we discovered there - was Bonaparte Zani - who lived about 1250.

I popped the name into Google and up came an old 17th century book of letters in the archives of The University of Madrid .
One of these letters is from a Valerio Zani - a cousin of an ancestor - who can also be found on the above mentioned tree.
So-
I am looking at this letter - (written before 1668 - by an ancient relative in Italy) displayed in Google books - on my computer in my home in the UK .

This is just Magic
But it gets more so-

If I select a paragraph and click translate - Google takes the text  - which is in image format and converts it into text format  - and then  translates it  - quicker than I could say - Jack Robinson.
Total Magic.

OK  - the translation needs a bit of tweaking - it is trying to cope with 17th century Italian - but it is quite possible for me to understand what is being said.

And -
What is it saying?
Well Valerio was obviously also the family genealogist, and he was discussing how Bonaparte Zani fitted into the family tree.

Without Google I  would never have known about that book.
Even if by some miracle I had stumbled upon it - I would not have known there was anything inside relevant to my research
Even if I had known it was relevant -  I would not have been able to search for the name Zani inside it.
It is so easy to search for a name in a book that has been digitised.

Google - I love you


2 comments:

  1. But Scottish research is far more difficult! My wife has been trying to trace her Dunlop ancestors in Ayrshire, and pre-registration it is almost impossible as there are dozens with the surname, they often married someone having the same surname and they all seemed to give their children the same Christian names

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I so so sympathise. I have had to research 3 generations of Ross in Ross-shire all called John with 2 of them married to another Ross. It is a nightmare.

    ReplyDelete